About Me

My photo
Suzanne is a professional actor, based in the New York area. She is a proud member of SAG-AFTRA and AEA. She appears in independent film, as well as Regional and Off-Broadway theatre. Please visit her FB page, TheatreShare for all your theatre and film needs.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Writing my Next Chapter

First the good news: I was cast in the Metropolitan Playhouse’s production of “House of Mirth.” The bad news? Halfway through rehearsal I injured my ankle and had to drop out. Yes. Ouch.

As a female actor of a certain age, I am well aware that there are not so many roles out there for me. Of course, I play all the “mom” roles in the smaller films, and do quite a bit of festival and workshop roles. And I have my teaching and coaching, my online business and my blog to keep me busy. But still. This was “House of Mirth.” At Metropolitan. Take a guess how often that happens.

And, let me tell you, I jumped through so many mental hoops, trying to come up with a way of staying with the show. I even considered, albeit fleetingly, trying to find an unscrupulous “sports doctor” to give me a shot of cortisone so that I could walk. Then I put my ankle on ice and did what any other self-respecting actor would do in the same circumstance: I whined.

“It’s not fair! This can’t be happening! I love this show. Who does Edith Wharton anymore? My costume shoes were so pretty! I’ll never work again.”


As I sat there in misery, flipping through my emails on my Droid, I came across this:


Weekly Tip for 3.23.12 March 2012


Weekly Tip for 3.23.12
THE 6 MAGIC WORDS TO MAKE IT IN OUR BUSINESS.
Where were these words before?!
We often get asked, What's the secret to succeed in this business? How do I make it? What are the magic words? We've always said, No such quick answer. BUT, after a recent "aha!" moment, there IS an answer. And it is:
--------------------------------------------------

I subscribe to a newsletter from Scott Powers Studios. If you’re in this business, working in New York and you don’t know Scott, you should. It’s uncanny, but it seems that whenever I need a pick-me-up, whenever I need that edge of confidence to go into an audition or callback, Scott Powers Studios sends me their Weekly Tips Newsletter and it seems to have been written just for me. I read on.

-----------------------------------------------
DO WHAT IS EXPECTED OF YOU.

No excuses. No "yeah-buts." No "extenuating circumstances." No nothin'
-------------------------------------------------


“Do what is expected of me?” It’s really that simple?

-------------------------------------------------
Simple? No, deceptively complex. It turns out, every "issue" or "challenge" or literally everything that occurs that is wrong, a disappointment, a letdown, not getting the job, getting fired or losing representation, revolves around if somebody has not done what is expected of them. That goes for actors, agents, casting directors, managers, you name it.
--------------------------------------------------

I had won the role and, through no fault of my own, was now unable to play it. I could hear the exasperation in my director’s voice when I tried to tell him that it would all be fine. I’d rest my ankle, keep icing it, take anti-inflammatories. Then somehow, a miracle would happen, and I’d be able to go back to rehearsal, still wearing the ankle brace and somehow finding a period show that would fit over it. Yeah, right. He graciously, if trepidaciously, agreed to let me sit out two rehearsals. It would all work out. I’d be all better and still get to be in this incredible production. I fell asleep with my script in hand, dreaming about rehearsals.

--------------------------------------------------
Can you do what is expected of you? If you can, we have seen those before you succeed, sometimes spectacularly.

If you can't do what is expected of you? We have seen those results, too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning I could bear no weight on my foot. With Scott Powers’ words ringing in my ears, I gave myself permission to cry a little. Then, I called the director and asked to be replaced. Believe me, that hurt more than the ankle. In my desire to please (and to work!) I realized I was justifying like crazy, trying to come up with some way of continuing on when it really was hopeless. I could not do “what was expected of me,” which was to complete the rehearsal period and perform for a month. (Yep, an entire month. In New York. Doing Edith Wharton and Clyde Fitch.) And when that realization hit me, I knew I could not jeopardize the production for my own ego. With sincere regret and disappointment, my dear director, the wonderfully talented Alex Roe, agreed that it had to be done.

Am I happy about it? Not one bit. But it was the right thing to do. Sometimes doing what is expected means stepping down. With a little luck (and a lot of physical therapy ) I hope to be able to hobble in to see my now former cast mates. It will still hurt. And it will still have been the right thing to do.

---------------------------------------------
We all write our own books. And there's nothing wrong with starting a new chapter. Like right now.
---------------------------------------------


Go out there and write your next chapter. I’ve just written mine.


www.Metropolitanplayhouse.org

www.scottpowers.com

getworking@scottpowers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment