About Me

My photo
Suzanne is a professional actor, based in the New York area. She is a proud member of SAG-AFTRA and AEA. She appears in independent film, as well as Regional and Off-Broadway theatre. Please visit her FB page, TheatreShare for all your theatre and film needs.

Friday, December 2, 2011

SANTA CLAUS IS REAL


I read with dismay an article about a second grade teacher in Nanuet, New York, who told her classes that there is no Santa Claus. She said that parents are the ones who bring gifts to children on Christmas. Well, I’m here to set the record straight.

When I was little, my parents took my brother and me up to the North Pole, New York, which everyone knows is the official headquarters for Santa when he is in New York. Of course, he spends most of his time at his home in the North Pole at the top of the world, reading Christmas lists, supervising the Elves who make all the toys, and eating lots of delicious gingerbread that Mrs. Santa Claus makes for him.

As soon as I saw him I knew he was the real Santa Claus. My parents had already explained to me that Santa has thousands and thousands of helpers who go to stores all over the world during the Christmas season, writing down the names of all the children and the toys that they hope to get for Christmas. They wear the official uniform of the North Pole, which is the familiar red suit with white trim, and black boots. Many of Santa’s helpers also let their beards grow so that they are nice and long for the Christmas season. But this Santa Claus – the real Santa Claus – looked a little different from what I expected. He was wearing a plaid shirt and work jeans, and his official red uniform coat was draped across the back of his big chair. He was also wearing work boots and not his official black boots. When I asked him why he didn’t look like all of the Santa’s helpers that I had seen in the stores, he said that he only wears his dress uniform on Christmas Eve. Otherwise, he wears his work clothes, so that it is easier for him to do all the work of planning for Christmas.

We had a long talk that day. He asked me if I had been good that year, and I had to admit that I sometimes argued with my brother. He explained to me that it’s natural for brothers and sisters to argue sometimes, but the important thing is to love each other. He said that even people who love each other can argue once in a while, but they still love each other, no matter what. Then he asked me what kind of toys I wanted for Christmas. That’s when I asked him the question that had been bothering me for a long time. I got really brave, looked him in the eye and asked,

“Do you really bring us the presents or do they come from our parents?”

He smiled knowingly and chuckled a little. Then he looked me straight in the eye.

“Suzy,” he said. “Of course I bring the toys. When you were just a baby, I brought all of your toys. When you got a little older, I asked your parents to help me, and they bought one or two presents. Then when you got much older, I told your parents that I really needed their help. I explained to them that I make sure to personally deliver presents to all children; especially the very young children. But the world is very big and I need a lot of help. So when children get a little older, I get in touch with their parents and show them their children’s Christmas lists which come to the North Pole. I tell them which toys I can bring, and they help me out with the rest. Usually, they buy the sweaters and scarves and I bring the toys that we make at the North Pole.”

I was surprised and a little disappointed.

“But Santa, “I said. “I thought you brought all the toys to all the children.”

“Well now, Suzy,” he continued. “As I just explained to you, the world is very big and there are so many children who want so many toys. That’s why I need helpers. I have my helpers who go to the stores, and I have my secret helpers – all of the parents in the world. Christmas is a very important holiday. We celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ on Christmas. As Jesus taught us, we must all help each other; rich and poor, young and old, black, white, yellow, brown, red… all the people in the world need to help each other.

“And now there is something that you can do to help me.”

“Help you, Santa?” I asked.

“Yes, indeed. When you grow up, if anyone ever tells a child that I don’t exist, I need you to tell them this story. Tell them that you met me and we talked about the real meaning of Christmas. Tell them that I am very real and I most certainly bring presents to all the children of the world. Childhood is a very precious time, and it is a very short time. Children need something to believe in. Tell them that they can believe in me.”

This year, I finally got my chance to help Santa. I am telling all the children in Nanuet, and Rockland County, and New York State – and in the whole world – that Santa Claus is real! He’s real and he’s kind, he brings the presents and he loves us very much. And I should know, because I met him when he was out of uniform!

No comments:

Post a Comment